Tuesday 17 May 2016

Am I being Paranoid?


Has this ever happened to you?
I wanted to use the station cashpoint machine and happily noticed there was just one lady using it. As she finished she asked for directions to a taxi rank and I moved forward to make my transaction...so far, so normal.
As I start a smartly dressed gentleman appears at my shoulder, a little too close for comfort and talks to me about cancelled trains and disrupted journey times, nineteen to the dozen.
I was very aware that he could see what I was doing but I had already started to enter my PIN as he started talking. I took a minimal amount, didn't get an on screen balance but continued to listen as he told me he was now getting money out for a cab.
I glanced back as I walked away....he didn't get a cab.
Convinced that I had been scammed in some way, I hot footed it home to call the bank and block my card.
The lady on the other end of the phone was very helpful, cancelled the card and confirmed that the only transaction made was my own.
"You know, he might have just been a very friendly man." she said.
 And of course she might be right and I'm left feeling torn between wanting to have been wrong but wanting to be proved right.
Sorry smartly dressed man!

No comments:

Post a Comment